THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – The Perhaps Spring Isn’t a Myth After All Edition

>> Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weekend Update

I love that first whiff of freshly cut grass of the year. I love that smell but it only last a short time because . . . stupid allergies. Nevertheless signs of spring are happening around here. The birds are busy (and loud) the trees are starting to bloom, the daffodils and other spring flowers are blooming. I’m not wearing socks every day. Well, except for the allergies they're good.


Daffodil



Plum Tree Blossoms


Last week I talked about all the graphic novels I have out from the library. I had a bit of a graphic novel reading binge this week and I plan to do more of the same later today.

I finished out the Y: The Last Man series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra. This series had its ups and downs but overall I liked it quite a bit.

I also read the latest in The Unwritten series by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. This one is such fun because of all the literary references tossed in throughout. It’s a story about stories. This latest volume sets up for the planned crossover with the Fables series. So that means I have to get busy and read a whole lot of Fables.

My current graphic novel read is a new one. FBP: The Federal Bureau of Physics Vol. 1: Paradigm Shift. I’m only partway through it but it’s interesting so far. A bit of science fiction, with a smart-ass slacker cop protagonist has potential to be a fun mix. Here’s the text from the opening page:
"Physics is broken. Gravity failures, entropy loops and wandering wormholes are the norm. But it's no longer front-page news, and Federal Bureau of Physics' resident slacker; Agent Adam Hardy is about to get a harsh reminder of why he joined the bureau.

"Prevent and protect" is the FBP motto, because if only one thing's for certain in this upside-down world, it's that "the impossible is always possible."

After I finish FBP I have a couple of the Jack of Fables books I want to read because I need to get moving with that series. Then I’ll go on with the rest of my library stack. I made a commitment to myself to not check anything new out from the library until I finish the books I have out. We’ll see how long that commitment lasts.

I’m also making progress with my re-read of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I've been reading parts of this interspersed with other books but now I’m at the point where I might just keep reading and finish this out before moving on to another book.

On audio I’m enjoying the final Amelia Peabody book but at the same time I’m a little sad to be finishing out this series.

Now for a few random phone photos from this week:

I've been playing with a social media photo community and app. OK Do This has a lot of fun prompts and ideas for photos. I usually check the “Do of the Day and sometimes play along. This week one of them was “Change your perspective // photograph a reflection and share it upside down. I thought my attempt turned out pretty cool.

OK Do This upside down reflection

With the time change I’m back to leaving for work in the dark but I do get to see some pretty beautiful sunrises as I arrive downtown.

Downtown Portland Sunrise


Mt Hood Sunrise

Hope you’re having a great weekend!!

3 comments:

Tif Sweeney 3/17/2014 11:34 AM  

Yay!! You finished Y!! I can't wait to read all your thoughts on that one. I've been dying to chat with someone about this one!!

I'm in the midst of reading The Unwritten and am not sure how they are going to do a crossover with Fables. I guess I have to keep reading to find out!

Love your pictures, as always!!

Heather 3/17/2014 2:00 PM  

That daffodil is so lovely. I cannot wait for Spring to really and truly finally be here. It's taking too long!

Can't wait to hear what you think of Y too!

SuziQoregon 3/27/2014 9:13 PM  

Tif: Yes we need to chat! Unwritten is a series that confuses me as much as I enjoy it. Another good one for discussion.

Heather: thanks! I have to say I enjoyed the Y: The Last Man series overall. It had it's ups and downs but I kind of like how not all of the questions were answered.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP