THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – The Spring is Here! Plus Beer! Edition

>> Sunday, March 23, 2014

Weekend Update



Spring has arrived. My need for Claritin makes that abundantly clear. Nevertheless I’m enjoying the sunshine. Despite the chilly mornings the afternoons have been beautiful. I definitely had one morning this week that would have been better if I’d worn a warmer jacket and gloves but it wasn't raining so I didn't mind getting off the train a few stops early and walking the rest of the way to the office.
My Neighbor's pink star magnolia

Yesterday I went out for an 11 mile trek (mostly walking with a little jogging). I managed to do the 11 miles in the same time I did 10 the week before. I’m lucky to have a variety of walking paths that is even better this year. Thanks to a great Parks & Rec. district I've got new routes and paths to change up my walks and keep them from getting boring.

Plum tree
The sunshine and blooming trees yesterday were just wonderful.

Breakside Brewery and Taproom
OK we will
Then we went to the Breakside Taproom and Brewery with some friends. The Bergamot Special Bitter was just wonderful.
Breakside Bergamot Special Bitter
They describe it as:
English style golden ale with very light bitterness, brewed with lemon peel and then cold conditioned on Townshend’s Earl Grey tea leaves.

Breakside Brewery and Taproom
Plenty of tap to choose from
All we know is that all four of us liked it a lot! We brought home a growler of it and I’m looking forward to having a pint this afternoon.

As for reading, I’m winding down my re-read of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It’s still one of my favorite books despite the fact that the overwriting is more evident with every re-read. Nevertheless I’m enjoying it all over again and looking forward to the TV show.

Blooming tree

The long walk yesterday meant I made some progress in my audiobook. The Tomb of the Golden Bird is the final book in the Amelia Peabody series. The discovery of King Tut’s tomb is a major part of this book and it’s clear that the author had issues with Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon. I think I need to hunt up some non-fiction about them.

In graphic novels, I finished FBP: The Federal Bureau of Physics Vol. 1: Paradigm Shift. I enjoyed this one. The story is a cop story but in a world where Physics is broken the laws they’re enforcing are the laws of gravity and physics. It’s a combination of science fiction and crime fiction that I enjoyed enough to be putting future issues on my wishlist.

My new graphic novel is the first in the Jack of Fables spin offs from the main Fables series. I've heard enough mixed reviews of the Jack books to have reduced expectations but so far I don’t mind it and I know it loops back into the main Fables story soon.
Trees in bloom at First Presbyterian Church Downtown Portland


Hope you’re having a great weekend!!

5 comments:

Tif Sweeney 3/24/2014 7:59 AM  

Sounds like you had a great reading week. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Jack books.

I'm still reading the same book I was last week, but hope to finish it very soon. I'm ready to move on. I am also still listening to an audiobook that I've been trying to get through since last fall. I'm loving it, but time has not been on my side. Thankfully, the warmer weather around here also means more audio time for me!

The Surly Bookseller 3/24/2014 9:58 AM  

My city has a long way to go to catch up to yours as far as walking trails are concerned, but it's a whole lot better than it used to be. I know you appreciate yours! And I am jealous.

Les 3/24/2014 6:42 PM  

Wow! 11 miles? That's quite impressive! I'm anxious to get out on our trails and will start slow with a few long walks and short bike rides before I hit the longer routes, aiming for 40-60 mile rides. Hopefully, before it gets too hot! Oh, and thanks for the reminder. I need to stock up on Claritin for my hubby.

Your blooming trees are so pretty. I'm anxious to return to Oregon next week. I can't say that I've ever been there in April, so I'm excited. :)

Beth F 3/27/2014 3:35 AM  

I'm going to have to try bring home a growler or two -- we have a few local breweries but we've never done the growler thing for some reason.

SuziQoregon 4/07/2014 9:20 PM  

Tif: I did! So far I've read one of the Jack books. Looks like I'll be kind of alternating those and the main Fables series for a bit (I'm reading them in publicaiton order)

Surly: Glad you're getting better walking trails.

Les: and it hurt! Had to practice some longer mileages because I've got a half marathon coming up soon.

BethF: We started with one growler and now have several. Sometimes it's nice to have more than one available for refilling.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP