THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – The Started Springy, Ended Soggy Edition

>> Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekend Update

Schools were out for Spring Break this week so naturally we had record rain. I remember when I was in schoolkid in Oregon I could count on two things – rain on the first day of school and rain during Spring Break. No vacation for me this week but I had some pretty damp walks between the train and my office.

Tom McCall Waterfront Park Cherry Trees
The beginning of the week was beautiful. On Monday I purposely took some extra time before and after work to walk along the waterfront where the cherry trees were blooming. As part of the Japanese American Historical Plaza at the park there are 100 ornamental cherry trees and they were just beautiful earlier this week before the stormy weather arrived.
Tom McCall Waterfront Park Cherry Trees


As for reading, I finished my re-read of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It’s still one of my favorite books despite it’s many flaws. As I said in my review my thoughts on re-reads are totally influenced by the nostalgia of how much I loved it the first time I read it. I’m looking forward to the TV show this summer.

I started reading A Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante and it’s good so far. When a prominent doctor is found dead in a hotel his obituary mentions his devoted wife of many years and his grown children. This all comes as quite the surprise to the other two women who thought they were married to him. Now his death may be suspicious and the detective on the case is interviewing the wives. This book is my reading plan for this afternoon.

I finished listening to the final Amelia Peabody book, The Tomb of the Golden Bird by Elizabeth Peters. I’m a little sad to have finished the series but it’s been a lot of fun over the past few years and is definitely an audio series I highly recommend. Thanks to this review by Beth Fish Reads I’m looking forward to getting Amelia Peabody’s Egypt: A Compendium from the library for one last visit with the fictional characters and real events and places from the series. While I plan to get it from the library I suspect a trip to Powell’s to buy a copy will happen soon.

In graphic novels, I finished Jack of Fables Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape by Bill Willingham. This spinoff series from the main Fables series is a bit different but still fun and has the familiar mix of adventure and humor. It’s nice to see a few storybook characters that haven’t been a part of the Fables series yet.

My new graphic novel is the second volume of Marvel Now’s Hawkeye series. I don’t read much superhero stuff but I enjoy Clint Barton (aka Hawkeye) as the wisecracking hero of this series.

Now that I have finished my re-read of Outlander I need to figure out what Chunkster I’m going to tackle next. I have learned that interspersing sections of a huge book in between average and shorter length books is a great way for me to get through them. Last year I tried and abandoned a re-read of Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd because I wasn’t diligent about returning to it. It’s one of my all time favorites so I think I’m going to dive in again for an attempt at a re-read.

Oh and look who thought she was getting biscuits for breakfast . . .

Abby wants biscuits

Hope you’re having a great weekend!!

4 comments:

Eleanor 3/30/2014 10:40 AM  

Making a note to visit Portland during cherry tree season....

Kailana 3/31/2014 3:13 PM  

I was telling another blogger that I need to go to Portland. You have cemented that. I would love taking pictures of the trees!!!

Les 4/02/2014 9:55 PM  

I was so happy to see all the beautiful blossoms on the trees as I drove south from PDX to Salem and then on out to the coast. Everything looks so fresh and green and it was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous here today in Depoe Bay! The sun was out and there was no wind, so it was lovely being out and about. After shopping and lunch out, I enjoyed going for a long walk along the bluff just south of Depoe Bay. Tomorrow we head to Bandon.

I'll be interested to see what you think of A Circle of Wives. I read it last month and enjoyed it, but I liked Turn of Mind better.

SuziQoregon 4/07/2014 9:27 PM  

Eleanor: Cool!!

Kailana: I hope you do! I've met lots of fellow bloggers when they've been here.

Les; Yay - glad you got some decent weather. I liked A Circle of Wives but I agree that Turn of Mind was better.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP