THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – The What We Did on Vacation Edition

>> Sunday, March 2, 2014

Weekend Update

February is an excellent time to get out of Oregon. It’s become a habit for us to seek out sunshine and warmth for a February vacation. We were in Mexico last week. The Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo area is just lovely and we enjoy the mix of relaxing and reading on the beach and going into the town of Zihuatanejo for meals, people watching and experiencing the local atmosphere.




The only glitch in the trip was that we went straight to Mexico from LA but our bags decided to take a side trip to San Diego (and didn’t even get us a souvenir while they were there!!). There’s only one flight a day from LA to Zihuatanejo and we’ve always worried about the quick turnaround when we change planes there. Because of that we carry on a change of clothes, our swimsuits and what we need to get through at least 24 hours. So even though we weren’t desperate I was extremely happy to see my clothes and stuff when we got back from dinner the second night there.

The beach where we stay is a nesting ground for Olive Ridley Sea Turtles and they have a good conservation and protection program in place.

Tub Full of Baby Sea Turtles

They dig up the eggs and move them to a protected area to incubate and then release the babies when they hatch. We were lucky once again to see newly hatched baby sea turtles released and make their way to the ocean.



It’s a very cool experience

We had some gorgeous sunsets
Ixtapa Sunset



Plenty of time to read and relax on the beach

Playa Vista Hermosa



Lots of walking around Zihuatanejo

Playa Principal in Zihuatanejo

We both read a lot. I read about 400 pages of Outlander. I read Persuader by Lee Child. It had been far too long since I read a Jack Reacher book and I enjoyed the heck out of this one. I also started The Black Country by Alex Grecian. It’s the second in his London Murder Squad series. The Hubster also read a Jack Reacher book. He’s a couple ahead of me in the series and he read One Shot. He read Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith too. I’m glad he liked that one. I’ve read the short stories but haven’t read the books yet.

It was back to work and real life on Thursday but the nice thing about starting and ending a vacation mid-week is that it makes for a short work week before you go and also when you get back. My department at work moved to a different floor while I was gone so the combination of getting back to work and getting settled in to a new workspace meant that a two day work week was about all I could handle.

So now it’s back to routine around here and I have a huge stack of graphic novels out from the library that I plan to focus on for the next couple of weeks.

Hope you're having a great weekend!!

7 comments:

Bryan G. Robinson 3/02/2014 9:46 AM  

That sounds wonderful. We haven't had a tropical vacation in several years, but I guess I can live vicariously through you. I like Jack Reacher too, but I think it was One Shot that didn't do much for me. However, I'm willing to give him a try again. Most of Child's books are fun.

Kailana 3/03/2014 12:08 PM  

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip!!

The Surly Bookseller 3/03/2014 3:50 PM  

I am bookmarking this entry. I can do some serious relaxing watching those videos. And really, since the Crystal Cathedral went belly up, there wasn't much in San Diego for your clothes to do.

Trish 3/04/2014 8:54 AM  

Beautiful pictures but I'm tempted to just watch that first video on repeat all day. It's so cold here!!! Those turtles are just way too cute. Glad you had a great trip. But yikes on the luggage!

Les 3/09/2014 6:36 AM  

I love that you two take these annual vacations to Mexico so that I can live vicariously through your posts while freezing here in Nebraska! :) I told my husband that we really need to plan a tropical vacation next year, preferably in mid-February. But I'm happy with an upcoming trip to the Oregon coast early next month...

Glad you're luggage finally arrived! Great videos & pics!

SuziQoregon 3/24/2014 8:58 PM  

Brian: We believe that February is an excellent time to get out of Oregon and find some sunshine! I think One Shot is The Hubster's next Reacher book - now you have me curious to hear what he thinks of it.

Kailana: we did - so relaxing.

Trish: thanks - I've been watching that video myself a lot.

Les: See above re: February in Oregon! Yes you do need to plan a tropical vacation - February is a great time.

SuziQoregon 3/24/2014 8:59 PM  

Oops - Sorry Surly - missed your comment - Yes it is relaxing which is why I recorded the videos.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP