THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

>> Friday, April 18, 2014

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan with art by Niko Henrichon

Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Vertigo
Publication Date: 2006
Pages: 136
Source: Library


The Short Version:
A fictionalized account of the true story of lions who escaped the zoo after the 2003 bombing of Baghdad.

Why I Read It:
Recommended highly (and repeatedly) by many of my friends.

The Book:
From the publisher:

In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives. In documenting the plight of the lions, Pride of Baghdad raises questions about the true meaning of liberation — can it be given, or is it earned only through self-determination and sacrifice? And in the end, is it truly better to die free than to live life in captivity?

My Thoughts:
Told by and from the viewpoint of the animals this is a beautifully told and illustrated story. The four lions who are the main characters all have distinct personalities. When their world they know in the zoo is suddenly changed so drastically the freedom they have wanted is granted. However in a city at war is a dangerous and desperate place for all of the zoo animals.

The artwork in this is simply beautiful despite the wartime setting.

The political allegory is pretty much what I'd expected and I knew what the final outcome would be so that didn't come as a surprise either. The telling of the story through the animals both worked and yet didn't work for me. At some points it felt like bits and pieces of both The Lion King and the Madagascar movies. The anthropormorphizing of the animals at times went a bit too far into humans they represent in the allegory but overall it was still a good book.


3.5 stars Rating 3.5/5

2 comments:

Bookfool 4/18/2014 12:31 PM  

Totally off-topic, here. I haven't been visiting blogs for a while so I spent quite a while reading posts here, the other day (on my hinky old iPad, so I couldn't comment without crashing it) and it was a wonderful hour or 45 minutes or whatever. Your photos get better all the time. Love seeing what a beautiful area you live in and Abby cracks me up.

I haven't watched most of the shows you mentioned but Sherlock and The Big Bang Theory are absolute favorites in this house. I watched 2 hours of Big Bang, last night. I do think it's doubly fun if you're married to someone in a science or engineering field. I see some similar characteristics in the people we hang out with (and Huzzybuns, of course). Sherlock is just wonderful. We've watched many versions, over the years, but I think Benedict Cumberbatch is my favorite Sherlock.

Also, I noticed you were able to check out The Making of the African Queen! Cool! You have such a spectacular library system! I got my copy in the library sale (donated by a patron) and donated it back after I finished. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Wishing you and yours a Happy Easter, SuziQ!

SuziQoregon 5/01/2014 9:19 PM  

Bookfool: Love your catch up post!!

Yeah - I figured you could relate to the whole married to a geek thing ;-)

And thanks again for recommending The Making of the African Queen - it was fun.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP