THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – The Dark Horse by Craig Johnson

>> Thursday, May 15, 2014

Audiobook – The Dark Horse by Craig Johnson

Audiobook – The Dark Horse by Craig Johnson

Genre: Mystery
Series: #5 in the Walt Longmire series
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication Date: 2009
Length: 9 hours, 35 minutes
Read by: George Guidall
Source: Library

The Short Version:
Sheriff Walt Longmire goes undercover in a nearby town to prove the innocence of a woman accused of killing her husband.

Why I Read It:
This is one of my favorite audio series and it has been several months since I listened to the last one.

The Book:
From the Author’s website:
Wade Barsad, a man with a dubious past, locked his wife Mary's horses in their barn and then burned it down. In return she shot him in the head six times—or so the story goes. Sheriff Walt Longmire doesn't believe that Mary's confession is the truth, and he's determined to dig deeper. Posing as an insurance claims investigator, Walt goes undercover and soon discovers that the population of an entire town might have wanted Wade dead, including a beautiful Guatemalan bartender and a rancher with a taste for liquor but not so much for honesty.
My Thoughts:
It's been a while since I listened to a Walt Longmire book. It was nice to be back in Wyoming with Walt and having George Guidall narrating.

I enjoy this series so much and it's one of those that to me is perfect blend of author, characters and narrator. This audio edition includes an interview with the author by the narrator.
I knew that people made noises in jail, whether they were conscious of it or not. Angry sounds, boisterous sounds, sad sounds--some even sang--but as she continued, I could hear it was the wounded sound, the tone that caused the stillness in my hands and the cooling in my face.

The one I couldn't stand.
This time around there is not much presence from the usual supporting cast. Even though some of it is set on home turf in Durant, much of the action takes place in a small town where Walt is working undercover for the first time in his career. It's a different role for him and a tough one to do when you're the well known sheriff from a neighboring county.

Nevertheless it's a well done story. It alternates present time with flashbacks from several days earlier and chronicles both Walt's initial interactions with murder suspect Mary Barsad and his foray into working undercover to prove her innocence.

As a long time reader (listener) of the series I trusted Walt's instinct that Mary wasn't a cold blooded killer but as for who set her up there were plenty of suspects to choose from.

Along the way there was the usual moments of humor that I love in the way the character of Walt tells the story. There was also bits of insight into Walt's past which has gradually been filled in a little bit at a time as the series has progressed.

I missed some of the home town folks who had less of a presence in this one but it was still an excellent book.

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5 for the book

4.5 stars Rating 4.5/5 for the narration



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

1 comments:

Beth F 5/16/2014 3:52 AM  

Must.start.this.series.soon.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP