THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Bout of Books 10 Goals and Updates

>> Monday, May 12, 2014

I am participating in my third Bout of Books this week. I did my first one in August and again in January. I have had this week marked on my calendar ever since.

Bout of Books

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 12th and runs through Sunday, May 18th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 10 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
My goals for the week and all my updates will be on this post. I’ll also be updating via twitter.
___________________________________________________________________

Time Devoted to Reading
I am working full time this week so I can’t possibly spend a gazillion hours reading. I'm using the same approach as I have previously for getting extra reading time in because it worked pretty well. I do plan to limit some of what is normally my time spent on social media or wandering aimlessly online and replace those activities with more reading time.

I also plan to keep my iPod with my audiobook with me as much as possible. I typically only listen when I’m in the car by myself or when I’m out walking but I keeping my iPod handy might give me some extra listening time.

Usually weekends are not a big reading time for me. That’s when The Hubster and I tend to do things together whether it’s chores and errands or out doing fun stuff. This upcoming Sunday however he'll be busy so I'll have that day pretty much to myself. It will be nice to finish out the week with a day of mostly reading. Taking all of that into consideration these are my goals for time devoted to reading this week:
  • 2 hours a day total reading/listening time Monday - Thursday
  • 3 hours Friday
  • Saturday and Sunday as much as I feel like
___________________________________________________________________

My Goals:
  • Read 4 books after I finish my current book (typically 2 books a week is a good week for me)
  • Participate in at least one Bout of Books Tweet Chat
  • Participate in one Bout of Books challenge
  • Spend some time each day visiting other participants blogs
  • Have fun
___________________________________________________________________

Reading List (which may end up having no resemblance at all to the books I end up actually reading):
I can’t possibly read all of these and it’s highly likely that I’ll pick up something that’s not even on the list. There’s a reason this blog is named Whimpulsive.

Anyway - here’s what’s on my radar for reading soon and that includes this week.
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (Highly recommended by many in my LibraryThing 75 books group)
  • The Storied Life of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (highly recommended by many people I trust)
  • Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige (I recently listened to the original Wizard of Oz so it's time for a retelling)
I've got several graphic novels out from the library and they're great for a change of pace or a break from other books
  • Sweet Tooth Vol. 2: In Captivity by Jeff Lemire (next up for me in the Sweet Tooth series)
  • Sweet Tooth Vol. 3: Animal Armies by Jeff Lemire (and the next)
  • Jack of Fables Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts by Bill Willingham (next in this spin-off from Fables)'
  • Jack of Fables Vol. 3: The Bad Prince (and the next)
  • Fables Vol. 10: The Good Prince (next in the Fables series)
On Audio I'm listening to How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (narrated by David Tennant). It's short so i might be able to finish it and move on to the next in this series because it's making me laugh out loud and I feel a binge listen of this series might be in order.

All of these are in the house and available and I've got a good mix of audio, print, ebooks, genres and types of book so I can change up the pace or mood when it strikes.
___________________________________________________________________

Updates:

Monday:
How much I read or listened to today:
I managed to get about 30 minutes of audiobook time during my commute time today. As for reading I had a pretty good day. I got a total of 3.25 hours in today. The two hours on the porch when I got home from work was the best part.

Total number of books completed this week: 1

Thoughts on today’s reading:
I finished the last 210 pages of Empress of the Night and I'll admit that skimming happened because it's just not that good. I started a novella called Back to Oz which is a prequel to Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. I only read the first chapter though.

Other Bout of Books Stuff:
I stopped by a few friends blogs to cheer them on and visited a few new to me blogs. I passed on the mini-challenges for today but I did catch a bit of the Twitter Chat.


Tuesday:
How much I read or listened to today:
Again I got about 30 minutes of audiobook time during my commute time today. As for reading it was another pretty good day. I got a total of 2.5 hours in today including a little over an hour on the front porch when I got home from work

Total number of books completed this week: 2

Thoughts on today’s reading:
I finished the novella called Back to Oz which is a prequel to Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. I'm really glad I read this before starting Dorothy Must Die. It's all about how Dorothy goes back to Oz and the big changes both for Oz and for Dorothy.

I started reading The Storied Life of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin but only read the first few pages before bed.

Other Bout of Books Stuff:
I visited some friends blogs to cheer them on and also checked in with a few ne to me bloggers. I passed on the mini-challenges for today.


Wednesday:
How much I read or listened to today:
2.75 hours of reading
30 min of audiobook time

Total number of books completed this week: 2

Thoughts on today’s reading:
I'm really loving both of my books right now. How To Train Your Dragon is just a fun listen. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is one of those books that made me resent having to go to work yesterday because I truly just wanted to keep reading rather than getting off the train downtown.

Other Bout of Books Stuff:
I did my usual visiting of my friends blogs and a few new to me blogs. Once again I passed on the mini challenge for the day.


Thursday:
How much I read or listened to today:
1.25 hours of reading
45 min of audiobook time

Total number of books completed this week: 3

Thoughts on today’s reading:
I finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and I LOVED it!! Such a delightful story and so many extra special quotable moments for booklovers.

I'm still listening to How to Train Your Dragon and it's just fun.

I started reading Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor. This is a time-travel story that comes highly recommended by many of the folks in my LibraryThing 75 Books group so I'm glad to be finally reading it

Other Bout of Books Stuff:
Once again I visited a few of my friends blogs and a couple of new to me blogs. I still haven't done any of the mini challenges but today's have me intrigued. I just need to find the time to do one or both of them.


Friday:
How much I read or listened to today:
2.25 hours of reading time
30 min of audiobook time

Total number of books completed this week: 3

Thoughts on today’s reading:
I'm really enjoying Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor. It's an interesting and fun take on time travel.

Today was the last of my commute time audiobook time for the week so I brought the ipod in the house. Need to find some listening time this weekend so I can finish off How to Train Your Dragon and count it for this week's reading.

Other Bout of Books Stuff:
I had every intention of doing one of the mini challenges but I got busy and didn't get it done. I may end up not doing any this time around.

I also didn't do any blog visiting. Will have to make up some of that over the weekend


Saturday:
How much I read or listened to today:
about an hour and a half of reading time

Total number of books completed this week: 3

Thoughts on today’s reading:
Today was get all the errands and stuff done day so I didn't get much reading time but I did set myself up to have lots of time to read on Sunday so I can finish the week strong.

Read more of Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor. This is fun. Hope I can finish it on Sunday

Other Bout of Books Stuff:
As I said - this was a out of the house and offline most of the day kind of day so no mini challenges or blog visiting.


Sunday:
See the Wrap-up Post on Monday May 19th

8 comments:

Vasilly 5/12/2014 7:41 AM  

Dorothy Must Die, Sweet Tooth, Fables. . . you have some fantastic-looking books in your stack. I have a habit of wandering aimlessly online too. Hopefully both of us can cut that down this week. Happy reading.

gautami tripathy 5/12/2014 9:09 AM  

Have a great bout of book 10 readathon week!

Here is my post!!

FICTION STATE OF MIND 5/13/2014 8:13 AM  

Great books! I love Sweet Tooth !

Andi 5/13/2014 8:15 AM  

I'm just dying to read Sweet Tooth. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and go ahead and download the first volume.

SuziQoregon 5/13/2014 9:22 PM  

Vasilly: I totally forgot I had the ebook of the prequel novella to Dorothy Must Die. I read that today. Very good!

Guatami: Thanks! You too!

Ficton State of Mind: I really liked the first Sweet Tooth - looking forward to reading more of the series.

Andi: I liked the first Sweet Tooth a LOT! You should get it,

Rachael 5/15/2014 2:32 PM  

It is hard to read a lot when you are working full time. I feel the same way with being a full time college student. It looks like you are off to a good start.

Beth F 5/16/2014 3:54 AM  

I hope I'll be able to join this in August. The timing has been off for me the last three times.

Andi 5/18/2014 10:22 AM  

Enjoy this last day with LOTS of reading! :D

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP