THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Nutshell Review: Jack of Fables Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges

>> Friday, June 27, 2014


Photo Credit


Jack of Fables Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts by Bill Willingham and Matthew SturgesJack of Fables Vol. 2: Jack of Hearts by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges

Genre: Fantasy, Graphic Novel
Series: #2 in the Jack of Fables series
Publisher: Vertigo
Publication Date: 2007
Pages: 143
Source: Library




The Book:
This volume 2 is a compilation of issues 6-11 of the comic series.

From the publisher:
After successfully escaping from an inescapable prison, is there a better place to head for than the city that fickle fortune built? Not if you're Jack of Fables! Overflowing with his legendary self-regard, Jack is about to discover the key to winning back his lost riches and triumphantly returning to the top of the heap. All it will take is a little planning and some help from Lady Luck.
Unfortunately, Lady Luck turns out to be a bit more substantial than her reputation would suggest, as well as a whole lot crazier. Jack's going to have his hands full just keeping his head on straight in Sin City - something that his former jailers intend to take full advantage of.
My Thoughts:
This second volume of this series had me remembering why I don’t like the character of Jack. I’ll continue with this spin-off series because I can alternate it with books from the main Fables series and I know that the stories do converge back together eventually.

In the meantime there are parts of the Jack story that are fun and interesting, but the problem is that Jack isn't one of them. He’s insufferable and a jerk. I do enjoy when his grand plans get thwarted but he always seems to pick himself up and remind himself how great he thinks he is and move on to another adventure as he tries to rebuild his fortune and power.

I did enjoy learning about how he became Jack Frost for a while.

I’m going to be very disappointed if Jack doesn't either get what’s coming to him or has a Grinch like change of heart somewhere along the way. In the meantime. I’m glad that next up for me is the next in the main Fables series.


2.5 stars Rating 2.5/5

2 comments:

Beth F 6/30/2014 5:05 AM  

Alternating is good. I read all the Jacks and they kind of dampened my enthusiasm for Fables. I need to get back to them.

SuziQoregon 8/12/2014 8:42 PM  

Beth F: I'm glad I'm alternating (basically reading in publication order). I can see where reading the Jack series back to back would curb your enthusiasm.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP