THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Weekend Update – The Reading Slump That Really Wasn’t Edition

>> Sunday, June 8, 2014

Weekend Update

Warning – massive reading catch up ahead.

I started off the month of May with a great burst of reading assisted by the Bout of Books excuse to not do other things for a week. Then it all fell apart. I didn't finish a book other than a short audio book between the 18th of May and June 5th. Craziness. Actually that’s the reason for it – craziness. Work was busy and I was busy outside of work. I felt like I never had more than a few minutes here and there to read. It didn't help that the book I was reading was one from which I was easily distracted.

I blame it on the weather. I blame it on my schedule. I blame it a little bit on the book.

Anyway – things are calming down. I’ve moved on to other books I’ve got almost nothing on my To Do list today and I’ve got at least three books I plan to spend some quality time with today.

So since my last reading update: I finished reading Purity of Vengeance by Jussi Adler-Olsen. While I generally love the Department Q series this one seemed to be a bit bloated. My history with this series has been ‘loved it’, ‘thought it could have been better’, ‘loved it’ and again ‘thought it could have been better’. The good news is that I’m due for a ‘loved it’ next, right?

I had barely started reading Birdmen: The Wright Brothers, Glenn Curtiss, and the Battle to Control the Skies by Lawrence Goldstone but put it aside until I finished Purity of Vengeance. I hope to pick it up again this week.

I started reading The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes the other day. This collection of stories will be nice to read as breaks between my other books. I finished the first of the eleven stories which was fittingly on Potential Triple Crown weekend about a race horse.

I also started Sous Chef by Michael Gibney. I have wanted for a while to start reading some of the many culinary memoirs and non-fiction out there but haven’t really jumped into that genre yet. I love watching competitive cooking shows with both professionals and home cooks. This book seemed like a good starting point. It chronicles 24 hours in a restaurant kitchen and has a good glossary for the terminology that I don’t know already. I’m enjoying it as an introduction and already have many other Culinary Arts books on my wish list.

What are your favorite culinary memoirs or similar books? I’m interested in building my wish list for this genre.

I have a stack of graphic novels out from the library that I need to work through and plan to pick one of those to start this afternoon. I haven’t read any since I finished the latest issue of Saga which I now read as the issues are released. I know the third collected edition of the series is out now but I have to warn you that the first individual issue of the new story arc traumatized me. I’m having anxiety attacks waiting for the next issue later this month.

On audio I listened to the second in the How to Train Your Dragon series by Cressida Cowell. How to be a Pirate was just as much fun as the first book. I absolutely adore David Tennant’s narration of this series.

My current audio book is Junkyard Dogs by Craig Johnson (narrated by George Guidall). I just love the Walt Longmire books on audio and this one has been very good so far.


As usual, the random photos from this week:


 I picked this one up at Powell’s this week. An ad in Shelf Awareness about the follow up book about the 1929 Race Across America caught my attention and both The Hubster and I thought this sounded interesting. Conveniently Powell’s had a copy available.


Lion cubs  - Oregon Zoo

We went to the zoo last week. The nine-month old lion cubs were out and the new Condor exhibit is open.

California Condor - Oregon Zoo
They always remind me of the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal

I was surprised to see the hippo out of the water for a change.

Hippo - Oregon Zoo



Hope you’re having a great weekend!

2 comments:

Belle Wong 6/08/2014 3:21 PM  

I really enjoyed Ruth Reichl's three culinary memoirs (Garlic and Sapphires, Comfort Me with Apples and Tender at the Bone).

I've only read the first Department Q book and really enjoyed it, but I've read lukewarm reviews of some of the others in the series, and I'm never too sure whether I should hunt out the second in the series or not.

Bryan G. Robinson 6/10/2014 7:27 AM  

I tried the first Department Q book a few months ago, but couldn't get into it for some reason. I have it out again from the library along with the second one, but have been unable to get to them. I think it's a sign that I'm not meant to...plus I know a patron who likes these kind of crime fiction books so I put him on hold for the first one at the library, so now I have to get it back from him. He'll probab;ly enjoy it more than I will, I'm thinking. Plus if the series is up and down, like you say, I'm really wondering if I want to spend time on it...right now that answer is no. So thanks for ruining a series for me. ;)

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP