THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Audiobook – Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi

>> Friday, July 11, 2014

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Cpodas by John Scalzi

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Cpodas by John Scalzi

Genre: Science Fiction
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Publication Date: 2012
Length: 7 hours, 41 minutes
Read by: Wil Wheaton
Source: purchased

The Short Version:
A group of low ranking crewmembers of a space exploration ship begin to have suspicions regarding the high number of them who die while on away missions.

Why I Read It:
I'm old enough to have watched Star Trek when it first aired and have seen every episide multiple times over the years so the high mortality of the 'redshirts' on the crew was a familiar thing to me. The premise of this book sounded fun and I've enjoyed Wil Wheaton's narration before.

The Book:
From the publisher:
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship’s Xenobiology laboratory. Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to pick up on the facts that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces; (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations; and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed.

Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy below decks is expended on avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

My Thoughts:
This book both interested and irritated me. The story was fun and interesting and the three codas at the end were excellent. They gave the story added dimension that worked very well.

There was a lot of humor in this but there was also some very heart tugging moments. It had all the fun of the old Star Trek episodes while making fun of it at the same time. It was in the three codas at the end that the mood changed. They added some closure to some story elements but were a definite departure from the feel of the main story.

My irritation was with the author's choice of dialog format. There were often sections of long conversations between two or more characters that always ran like this.
....., A said.
....., B said.
....., A said.
....., B said.

I began jumping for joy when the occasional "A asked" showed up. I'm wondering if this was less noticeable and irritating in the print version. It was very annoying at the begiinning. I think I learned to not hear it so much as the book continued because I really was enjoying the story. Every once in a while a long dialog section would take me out of the story again with the repetitive use of 'said' at the end of every sentence.

Despite the fact that Wil Wheaton does a good job of the narration the audio format has issues beyond his control and are the doing of the author. For that reason my recommendation is to read the print version of this. It really is a lot of fun in the same way the original Star Trek series was.

3 stars Rating 3/5 for the book

4 stars Rating 4/5 for the narration (Wheaton was better than his material in this case)



SoundBytes is a weekly roundup of audio book reviews hosted by Jen at Devourer of Books.

4 comments:

Bookfool 7/11/2014 11:14 AM  

I didn't notice it in the print version but I did find the codas a little irritating. That's probably more of a personal thing as I tend to dislike a shift in perspective. Overall, I really liked Redshirts. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too!

Meghan 7/12/2014 2:50 AM  

I actually didn't notice that at all - in fact, I tend to prefer "said" to other verbs, mainly because I can kind of gloss over that and other words stand out to me. Kind of depends on the book, though. I didn't think Redshirts was Scalzi's best but I did like it - I think I'm missing out by not having heard any books narrated by Wil Wheaton!

Trish 7/15/2014 7:34 PM  

I would LOVE to know how many times "said" was written in the book. It was terribly distracting for me and even when I was able to forget it later on, like you I was still occasionally pulled out of the story. (Meghan--you would have noticed the "said" on audio!)

In the end I liked it but I do think I might have liked it more if I read it (even though I did love Wheaton's narration).

SuziQoregon 8/12/2014 9:00 PM  

Bookfool: I suspected it wasn't as noticeable in print. The codas were definitely different but I felt that they rounded out the story.

Meghan: I wish I'd read this in print instead of audio. I enjoyed it but I think I would have liked it better in print.

Trish: LOL - we need to find out.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP