>> Monday, August 18, 2014
I am participating in my fourth Bout of Books this week. I did my first one last August and have participated in every one since.
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 18th and runs through Sunday, August 24th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 11 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books teamMy goals for the week and all my updates will be on this post. I’ll also be updating via twitter.
Time Devoted to Reading
I am working full time this week so I can’t possibly spend a gazillion hours reading. I'm using the same approach as I have previously for getting extra reading time in because it worked pretty well. I do plan to limit some of what is normally my time spent on social media or wandering aimlessly online and replace those activities with more reading time.
I also plan to keep my iPod with my audiobook with me as much as possible. I typically only listen when I’m in the car by myself or when I’m out walking but I keeping my iPod handy might give me some extra listening time.
Usually weekends are not a big reading time for me. That’s when The Hubster and I tend to do things together whether it’s chores and errands or out doing fun stuff. This upcoming weekend however, he'll be busy so I'll have a lot of the weekend pretty much to myself. That should make it easier for me to get more reading time in. Taking all of that into consideration these are my goals for time devoted to reading this week:
- 2 hours a day total reading/listening time Monday - Thursday
- 3 hours Friday
- Saturday and Sunday as much as I feel like
- Meet or exceed the time spent reading according to the goals above
- I'm not setting a number of pages or books goal because I plan on switching around between several books throughout the week.
- Participate in at least one Bout of Books Tweet Chat
- Participate in one Bout of Books challenge
- Spend some time each day visiting other participants blogs
- Have fun
Reading List (which may end up having no resemblance at all to the books I end up actually reading):
I can’t possibly read all of these and it’s highly likely that I’ll pick up something that’s not even on the list. There’s a reason this blog is named Whimpulsive.
Anyway - here’s what’s on my radar for reading soon and that includes this week.
- One Kick by Chelsea Cain (I'm partway through this and enjoying it a lot)
- The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (again one I'm partway through)
- Herbie's Game by Timothy Hallinan (I recently finished the third in this series and would like to catch up by reading the latest)
- The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz (I've wanted to read this for ages and I've got it out from the library)
- Birdmen by Lawrence Goldstone (non-fiction about the early days of flight that I started a while ago and set aside but I want to get back to it)
- The Story Hour by Thrity Umrigar (I have heard excellent things about this author)
- Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (highly recommended and one I really want to read)
- 100 Bullets Vol. 2: Split Second Chance by Brian Azzarello (I read the first a while ago and it intrigued me)
- Queen and Country Vol. 1: Broken Ground by Greg Rucka (the author is a local guy and I have heard good things about this series)
- Jack of Fables Vol. 3: The Bad Prince (next in the series for me)
- Fables Vol. 111: War and Pieces (next in the series for me)
All of these are in the house and available and I've got a good mix of audio, print, ebooks, genres and types of book so I can change up the pace or mood when it strikes.
How much I read or listened to today: I got my two hours of reading in
Total number of books completed this week: Haven't finished anything yet
Thoughts on today’s reading: I'm enjoying One Kick by Chelsea Cain quite a bit. I love her Gretchen and Archie series but it's nice to see her venture out with new characters. I did complete the instagram book scavenger hunt hosted by The Book Monsters. It was a lot of fun.
How much I read or listened to today: 45 minutes audiobook listening, 90 minutes reading
Total number of books completed this week: Still none
Thoughts on today’s reading: Some interesting turns in my audiobook (How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny). I'm close to finishing One Kick by Chelsea Cain.
How much I read or listened to today: I had a good reading day. 30 min of audiobook on my drive to and from work and a total of 2.5 hours of print reading time.
Total number of books completed this week: One
Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished One Kick by Chelsea Cain. It's a good start to a new series. I read another story in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. The Adventure of the Resident Patient was another fun one. I really enjoy reading these short Holmes stories in between other books. I also started my next graphic novel. Jack of Fables: The Bad Prince is another in the spin-off series from Fables featuring my least favorite Fable character. Jack really is kind of a jerk but I'm reading thesse because the stories do connect back together soon. They're quick reads and as long as I alternate them with the books from the main Fables timeline I can tolerate them.
How much I read or listened to today: 30 minutes of audiobook time and 90 minutes of reading puts me right on track.
Total number of books completed this week: Two
Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished Jack of Fables Vol. 3. The Bad Prince. I still don't like Jack but it was good to get some new background and some new interesting twists in the story. I started reading The Spellman Files by Liza Lutz. I really enjoyed Heads You Lose which she co-wrote with David Hayward and I've heard good things about her Spellman books. I haven't read very far yet but I'm enjoying it.
How much I read or listened to today: I managed to get in an hour of audiobook time and 2.5 hours of reading time today
Total number of books completed this week: Two
Thoughts on today’s reading: Still enjoying my audiobook - How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny. I love Inspector Gamache and Ralph Cosham's reading of this series. I read a good chunk of The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. This one is just a lot of fun. I also read another of the stories in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. It was a good reading day.
How much I read or listened to today: I had a lot of errands today so that meant lots of audiobook time. I managed 90 minutes. I also put in two hours of reading time
Total number of books completed this week: Three
Thoughts on today’s reading: I finished The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. These are such fun and many of the books are a series of short stories so it's nice to pick them up in between other books. I also read more of The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. This is just fun.
How much I read or listened to today:
Total number of books completed this week:
Thoughts on today’s reading: