THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

Sweet Tooth, Vol. 6: Wild Game by Jeff Lemire

>> Friday, August 22, 2014

Sweet Tooth, Vol. 6: Wild Game by Jeff Lemire

Sweet Tooth, Vol. 6: Wild Game by Jeff Lemire

Genre: Science Fiction (Graphic Novel)
Series: #6 in the Sweet Tooth series
Publisher: Vertigo Comics
Publication Date: 2013
Pages: 199
Source: Library

The Short Version:
In the finale of the series the fate of both mankind and the animal hybrid children is at stake.

Why I Read It:
This series captivated me from the very first issue. Once I started I had to continue.

The Book:
This volume 6 is a compilation of issues 33 - 40 of the comic series.

From the publisher

THE HUNT IS OVER

At long last, the hybrid animal-boy called Gus and the big man called Jepperd are on the road to the remote Alaskan outpost where the answers they seek are waiting. It was here, years ago, that the wrath of the gods was unleashed, a plague was released ... and a forgotten race reborn.

But Gus, Jepperd and their friends are not the only ones seeking the source of the apocalypse that has all but extinguished mankind. The bad man called Abbot is on the way as well, swearing death to anyone who stands between him and a cure for the plague.

And, if no cure can be found, death for EVERYONE.

The stage has been set for a final battle, an intimate Armageddon with the fate of human and hybrid alike in the balance. And no one knows who will be left standing when the wild game is up...

My Thoughts:
This is finale of a fascinating post-apocalyptic series that has surprising gentleness and strength. While I was sad to have reached the end of Gus and Jepperd's journey the ending was exciting, wonderful, awful and surprisingly emotional.

Trying to explain this series to someone is difficult but Gus the part human, part deer boy is a gentle soul who will stick with me for a long time. His protector Jepperd and the rest of what became like a family to them throughout the series are wonderful characters and their story has been fascinating.

While not everything is wrapped up in a neat tidy bow, this ending to the series is quite satisfying. The epilogue worked well and the final pages left me near tears.

Lemire as both author and illustrator has been able to tell his story well. Although his drawing style is harsh compared to some other richly drawn and colored comics (Fables or Saga for example) but it is highly evocative. He conveys action and emotion so well and particularly for characters who don't (or rarely) speak.

This is a series I highly recommend and I'm looking forward to reading much more of Jeff Lemire's work.

4 stars Rating 4/5

3 comments:

Andi 8/22/2014 6:14 AM  

YAYYYY! I'm so glad it ended well. I need to finish this one out via InterLibrary Loan. In truth, I want to buy them all up at once, but I'm trying to resist. TRYING. lol

Beth F 8/23/2014 4:29 AM  

I skipped this. Like Andi, I'm doling this out in individual issues.

SuziQoregon 9/13/2014 12:03 PM  

Andi and BethF: I cannot wait for both of you to finish this series. I think you'll be satisfied with how he wraps things up. Now I need to read more of Lemire's work.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP