THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!

The new location is Whimpulsive.


Update your feed reader now!


The feed has moved to: Whimpulsive


Update your reader now with this changed subscription address to get your latest updates.

http://whimpulsive.net/feed/

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

>> Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Genre: Mysterym Short Stories
Series: #4 in the traditional canon of Sherlock Holmes
Publisher: The Floating Press
Publication Date: 1892-1893 (this edition 2009)
Pages: 207
Source: Purchased


The Short Version:
Another collection of short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes as told by his friend Dr. Watson.

Why I Read It:
I started reading the Sherlock Holmes stories and books a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them. Most of them are a collection of stories so having them on my phone and ereader makes them great for always having something to read when I have a few minutes.

The Book:
From the Dover Thrift Edition:

Boasting some of Sherlock Holmes's finest adventures, this classic 1894 collection was originally written in serial form. Eleven of the most popular tales of the immortal sleuth include "Silver Blaze," concerning the "curious incident of the dog in the night-time"; "The Greek Interpreter," starring Holmes's even more formidable brother, Mycroft; and "The Final Problem," the detective's notorious confrontation with arch-criminal Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls.

Holmes and Dr. Watson remain history's greatest detective team, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's portrayals of male comradeship, the thrills of the chase, and the misty precincts of Victorian London remains unmatched in detective literature.

My Thoughts:
These stories are great for when I have a few minutes here and there or as a break between longer books. I enjoy Watson's asides and comments about Holmes.
I don't think you need alarm yourself," said I. "I have usually found that there is was a method to his madness.
The stories are varied and do not follow a chronological order. It was interesting to meet Holmes' brother Mycroft and have him show up again to assist with an investigation. In one the answer is truly that "The butler did it".

Another of them is notable because of how Sherlock Holmes gets it completely wrong.

A couple of the stories are of Holmes first cases and took place before he met Watson. In these, rather than Watson telling the story as he experienced it he's simply telling the reader what Holmes told him..

The final story was the most fascinating to me since it was my first introduction to Professor Moriarty.

I am enjoying reading the Sherlock Holmes stories and books. I’m looking forward to the next one which is The Hound of the Baskervilles.


4 stars Rating 4/5

0 comments:

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment. I read and respond them here although not always right away. If you would prefer an email response let me know.

I do moderate comments on posts older than 14 days in order to control spam. I will approve your legitimate comments as soon as I can.

Blog Archive

My latest Photo a Day

See a photo a day on SuziQoregon's ShutterCal

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP